State of AI, and of the archer class.

A Fantasy Tactics RPG. Sick of hero collector games with pre-made heroes? Create your own Hero with customizable job class, skills and equipment (that affects appearance).
Blartibus3
Unfamiliar
Unfamiliar

State of AI, and of the archer class.

Post by Blartibus3 » 12 Nov 2017, 06:12

Is there a plan to implement a smarter AI code? For example, I have two archers that will run INTO close combat, from the front, to a vanguard when he/she has a BOW that can hit the much softer mage sitting behind. In addition, will accuracy be changed to effect reaction skills? What's the point of stacking 170 accuracy, losing out on evasion skills , defensive stats, etc that can counter evasion builds when a 120 block reaction build negates any attacks from any direction?

I don't mean to be a drag, and I love this game (I wouldn't be spending some $$ if I didn't) but the viability of the archer class really comes into question later game.

From what I've seen, they sacrifice heavy damage, crit, penetration, offhand slot, speed, ability utility, and build viability for the ability to land a constant barrage of light-medium damage with a great amount of consistency, which I can understand. Problem is, the class as a whole is worthless against anything reaction stacked, or anyone who has medium armor or better, and in combination with the current ai code, basically means with higher level missions and more advanced teams, archers just dont stack up and are not worth the slot later game.

Killy
Unfamiliar
Unfamiliar

Re: State of AI, and of the archer class.

Post by Killy » 12 Nov 2017, 10:27

I think the AI was broken in a recent update. If the hero is out of range for an attack, with the new AI it will move as close as it possibly can and then attack, rather than hanging back as far as it can and attacking. With the delay added for moving this is doubly bad for poorly armoured heroes as they get taken down quickly by melee now. Personally I don't think the Archer class is underpowered at all, but they are heavily reliant on having a good bow, like you'd expect I guess.

Blartibus3
Unfamiliar
Unfamiliar

Post by Blartibus3 » 12 Nov 2017, 11:51

I run a rank 5 almost maxed out legendary moonbow, and the damage starts to really fall off later game, with a cap of 480 power, and a maximum of 30 damage from accessories and 150 attack from being level 50, an archers damage caps out at 650 ish damage. Bows have low crit rate, comboed with a penetration of 35 percent, and later game when every single opponent will break 2k HP, sheer damage becomes a big issue.

For example, my dark Knight hits for 1000 damage and 1500 crits, and still maintains a 50 percent crit chance. See how bad the damage can scale off? Comboed with the heavier armor, twice the hit points, and ability to self heal? Granted this is a close combat vs ranged, but the difference is stats and utility becomes too great at later gear levels.

How bad do bow damage levels get when there are ONE handed weapons that have higher damage than a Max ranked bow, and allow a TANK to hit harder than a pure DPS class.

Killy
Unfamiliar
Unfamiliar

Post by Killy » 12 Nov 2017, 12:03

I think Dark Knights are overpowered, which doesn't help. I run my archer with Dark Plate so she can take a beating and has regen. The loss of speed doesn't matter as much as by the time she moves there is a good range of weak targets to pick off. It seems to me that the Archer's strength in late game is being able to pick off those weaker targets no matter where they are, rather than high damage one shot kills, which arguably is the strength of the Archer in early game.

Blartibus3
Unfamiliar
Unfamiliar

Post by Blartibus3 » 12 Nov 2017, 12:17

I agree with the dark Knight being strong, but I'd attribute it more to the sheer power of the priest reaction skill. Taking off .7 seconds every time your hit? Wow. For fun, I AUTO fought some 8600 power arena team solo 1v5. Went in solo, and due to penance, Rick rolled the whole team.

Penance NEEDS to change, as it grants so many bonus turns that it makes counter teams that stack the heaviest armor and the highest damage weapons impossible to beat. Having a 2k hp paladin in dark plate that trucks for 1000 damage that gets a free 1.2 seconds removed off his timer after EVERY attack against him? I'd call that a revolving door, and call it Broken

Killy
Unfamiliar
Unfamiliar

Post by Killy » 12 Nov 2017, 12:59

Yeah you've hit the nail on the head there. Penance is a problem and does make heavy armour overpowered when used with it. Perhaps a skill restriction on the skill would be a good fix? Make it so that penance can only be used with Robes and Light Armour, as befitting an apothecary or priest.

Thinking about your thoughts on bows and archers too. Moon Bow isn't particularly strong and probably should be boosted a little. Two handed melee weapons feel too strong though, which is partly what's making Archers feel weak in my view. Penance just makes the problem worse.

Blartibus3
Unfamiliar
Unfamiliar

Post by Blartibus3 » 12 Nov 2017, 13:19

Difference between 2 weapons is:
2 handed swords and axes : 720+ damage
2 handed staffs: 480+ damage with utility for all spellcasters, and ripping plate apart due to magic damage
2handed bows: 480 damage, and it's physical.

I feel that bows should be a Midway between caster and 2 handed close combat weapons, and sit at around 550-600 power. They should gain more damage because bows are super specialized, and can only really be used well by archers, but have the range advantage over their cqb counterpart.

And believe it or not, 2 handers are inferior to twin wielding in every way. Take a look at maces, they have 0 crit, and the lowest penetration of any weapon, but they make up for it with having 600(!) Damage in just ONE weapon. Paired with a sword offhand that caps out at 305? You have a combo that is stronger than the best 2 handed weapon in the game by over 125 damage, better stats, penetration, and crit, and you can off trade that sword for a board and still have some serious offensive power.

onyxia
Unfamiliar
Unfamiliar

Post by onyxia » 12 Nov 2017, 19:15

U guys are all over the important topics here. All two handed weapons feel inferior to dual weilding. This needs to change. Its always smart to buff instead of nerf for balancing so you dont scare off players. Tank builds are pretty burly so i suggest buffing bows and two handers damage. Also the stats lost by going two handed are not a great trade imo. Need something to make up for it. Archers just dont live up to the hype imo. I suggest a quiver for bow users that only gives secondary stats. Im sure with some time all this will get balanced. Dont get too attached to your current build.

Master of Clan X
Prominent
Prominent

Post by Master of Clan X » 13 Nov 2017, 08:25

Blartibus3 wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 13:19
I feel that bows should be a Midway between caster and 2 handed close combat weapons, and sit at around 550-600 power.
Bows will be getting a damage buff + crit chance buff.

Great Sword and Great Axe will get damage buffs too. Penetration will only scale half as much with star increase for 1H weapons.

Master of Clan X
Prominent
Prominent

Post by Master of Clan X » 13 Nov 2017, 08:28

Blartibus3 wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 12:17
Penance NEEDS to change, as it grants so many bonus turns that it makes counter teams that stack the heaviest armor and the highest damage weapons impossible to beat.
Penance will be changed to reduce remaining delay by a % instead of a flat value.

Killy
Unfamiliar
Unfamiliar

Post by Killy » 13 Nov 2017, 09:04

These changes sound good, thanks for being so active Devs

Master of Clan X
Prominent
Prominent

Post by Master of Clan X » 13 Nov 2017, 09:07

Also the AI will be fixed. Will only attempt to flank if using a melee weapon. It's not perfect, but it's the best of both worlds from the older and current AIs.

Blartibus3
Unfamiliar
Unfamiliar

Post by Blartibus3 » 13 Nov 2017, 10:01

Hey guys, thanks for responding, and for bring pretty pro active! I love the sheer customize ability of this game, and I plan to be playing this a long while.

I know I've been making a bunch of threads, and they all seem like I'm just making a stink, but I wouldn't make these threads and make my opinion known if I didn't care. Keep up the great work boys!

Master of Clan X
Prominent
Prominent

Post by Master of Clan X » 13 Nov 2017, 10:34

Thanks for being understanding. We're making a lot of changes to the equipment and skills now so we only have to make minor adjustments later. I think the longer we wait to make the big changes the more difficult it will be to do so once the floodgates open after the early access status is removed on Google Play's end.

I know you guys have spent to support us so we'll do our best to make sure you guys aren't short-changed for playing ahead of players who join after early access.

onyxia
Unfamiliar
Unfamiliar

Post by onyxia » 13 Nov 2017, 21:08

Agreed. I am only so active in forums because u guys are doing such a great job. In it for the long haul.