Kharybdis fragments - where is the logic?

Mostly un-moderated and contains offensive material. This is the place for MAXIMUM TROLLING!! You have been warned. Don't ask for "add me" or help with quests or clicks; you will get banned. Clans can post recruitment posts here.
Nikolaj Knudsen
Notable
Notable

Kharybdis fragments - where is the logic?

Post by Nikolaj Knudsen » 06 Feb 2014, 07:35

Every time I run into a captain, who is carrying weapons crafted from Kharybdis fragments, I check their public profile to see if they have in fact sunk Kharybdis sufficient times to craft the weapons they are carrying.

Most of the captains I have encountered haven't, which means that they didn't get the fragments from Kharybdis, but they got them somewhere else. We all probably know how that went down. They got them from the internet and they bought them with real money and/or the equivalent to real money in APs/Ochos. Obviously trading with game goods for profit on the internet is accepted and allowed by Tyler. So it isn't cheating per se, and sometimes we even see advertisments here in the DB, which means that Tyler de facto facilitates/supports the trade of Kharybdis fragments for profit on the internet. Tyler also allows/takes care of the transfer.

This is difficult to understand for various reasons. Firstly, if we look at the game, there is no doubt that it is difficult and very AP consuming to get those fragments. Captains must sink Kharybdis many times to get sufficient fragments to craft the Kharybdis items. So it is a fact and beyond any doubt that Tyler meant it to be difficult to get the Kharybdis items.

However, the facts also show that it isn't difficult, because captains can simply buy the fragments on the internet for real money. Anyone with sufficient cash can do that, and they do judging from the number of captains, who carry these items and haven't sunk Kharybdis sufficient times themselves.

So here's the paradox: What was developed and meant to be difficult in the game is in fact very easy in exchange for real money, and apparently Tyler accepts, allows and even facilitates this. Now that is very odd, and when Tyler accepts and allows it to be easy to get the fragments, the question is why they do not simply sell the fragments for Ocho in the Ocho shop? That would be a much simpler and cleaner way of letting captains with sufficient cash get the fragments. Why use a middle-man, and will Tyler take responsibility if anything goes wrong and there is a dispute?

On the other hand if Tyler wants it to be difficult to get the fragments and do not want to sell them for Ocho, they should prevent the trading of the fragments for real money on the internet by making it impossible. That would be quite simple to do. At the very least Tyler should not support/facilitate the trade with Kharybdis fragments in this forum, as that trade is in contradiction with how the Kharybdis boss was designed.

payne
Familiar
Familiar

Re: Kharybdis fragments - where is the logic?

Post by payne » 06 Feb 2014, 10:05

wow...im suprised that u want to talk about logic when in battlestations, the ships are flying...

hon
Prominent
Prominent

Post by hon » 06 Feb 2014, 10:17

payne wrote:wow...im suprised that u want to talk about logic when in battlestations, the ships are flying...

Careful ar after u disturb his long post he will personal attack u...

Acet Tey
Low profile
Low profile

Post by Acet Tey » 06 Feb 2014, 13:40

$$ rules

Sneaky Miggy
Well known
Well known

Post by Sneaky Miggy » 06 Feb 2014, 15:19

Nikolaj Knudsen wrote:Every time I run into a captain, who is carrying weapons crafted from Kharybdis fragments, I check their public profile to see if they have in fact sunk Kharybdis sufficient times to craft the weapons they are carrying.

Most of the captains I have encountered haven't, which means that they didn't get the fragments from Kharybdis, but they got them somewhere else. We all probably know how that went down. They got them from the internet and they bought them with real money and/or the equivalent to real money in APs/Ochos. Obviously trading with game goods for profit on the internet is accepted and allowed by Tyler. So it isn't cheating per se, and sometimes we even see advertisments here in the DB, which means that Tyler de facto facilitates/supports the trade of Kharybdis fragments for profit on the internet. Tyler also allows/takes care of the transfer.

This is difficult to understand for various reasons. Firstly, if we look at the game, there is no doubt that it is difficult and very AP consuming to get those fragments. Captains must sink Kharybdis many times to get sufficient fragments to craft the Kharybdis items. So it is a fact and beyond any doubt that Tyler meant it to be difficult to get the Kharybdis items.

However, the facts also show that it isn't difficult, because captains can simply buy the fragments on the internet for real money. Anyone with sufficient cash can do that, and they do judging from the number of captains, who carry these items and haven't sunk Kharybdis sufficient times themselves.

So here's the paradox: What was developed and meant to be difficult in the game is in fact very easy in exchange for real money, and apparently Tyler accepts, allows and even facilitates this. Now that is very odd, and when Tyler accepts and allows it to be easy to get the fragments, the question is why they do not simply sell the fragments for Ocho in the Ocho shop? That would be a much simpler and cleaner way of letting captains with sufficient cash get the fragments. Why use a middle-man, and will Tyler take responsibility if anything goes wrong and there is a dispute?

On the other hand if Tyler wants it to be difficult to get the fragments and do not want to sell them for Ocho, they should prevent the trading of the fragments for real money on the internet by making it impossible. That would be quite simple to do. At the very least Tyler should not support/facilitate the trade with Kharybdis fragments in this forum, as that trade is in contradiction with how the Kharybdis boss was designed.

The trading of Global boss drops has always been allowed. People can still trade DP and DRs, and in the past were able to trade the CVR and FS drives until they stopped being given from the ocho shop after sinking damo MKII. But as a response, They allow the trading because as the global boss has MUCH hp, you must consuume much AP to sink it. This would not be an issue if it dropped full weapons. However, all of the drops are in fragment form and randomized. So sinking it 60 times could give you the frags for all of the weapons/parts and only 1 weapon/part itself(not likely but possible). This would enrage the player and likely lead to a halt or stop of purchases. To ensure that they keep their players, they allow it to be traded and sold, which also has a trasaction fee, so that they still make a profit out ot if. This is how it helps the Developers.

It helps the players because noone wants to risk not getting what they want. They also don't all have tons of AP to sink it alone. Also, Giphin goes on sinking it for fun and games and can sink it multiple times with the same ap it would cost you or I to sink it once. So it saves us AP, giphin gets his free GC and exp and the player gets the desired Item. ITS a win-win. And as Tyler still makes money off of AP purchases and the transfer fee, they win too.

Nikolaj Knudsen
Notable
Notable

Post by Nikolaj Knudsen » 06 Feb 2014, 15:59

Not really sure where you are going with all that? As far as I can see it doesn't have any relevans for my post. Evertything you wrote is completely besides the point. I know very well how it works, but that is besides the point too.
Last edited by Nikolaj Knudsen on 06 Feb 2014, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

Razgriz
Low profile
Low profile

Post by Razgriz » 06 Feb 2014, 16:10

Nikolaj Knudsen wrote:Every time I run into a captain, who is carrying weapons crafted from Kharybdis fragments, I check their public profile to see if they have in fact sunk Kharybdis sufficient times to craft the weapons they are carrying.

TL;DR

Kharybdis fragments are a step up from Damocles MK2 Dark Plasma. Same trading deal.

Nikolaj Knudsen
Notable
Notable

Post by Nikolaj Knudsen » 06 Feb 2014, 16:12

It's the same situation and the same paradox.

Razgriz
Low profile
Low profile

Post by Razgriz » 06 Feb 2014, 16:15

Nikolaj Knudsen wrote:It's the same situation and the same paradox.

Then where the hell were you when Tyler implemented Dark Plasma trading? :P

Nikolaj Knudsen
Notable
Notable

Post by Nikolaj Knudsen » 06 Feb 2014, 16:20

Around, just wondering as I run into more and more captains carrying Kharybdis items, which they have bought on the internet for real money. Pointing out the paradox between the game design and what really goes on. What was meant to be difficult is now easy. Don't really see the point of that arrangement.

Andrew Bowman
Notable
Notable

Post by Andrew Bowman » 06 Feb 2014, 17:09

Nikolaj Knudsen wrote:Around, just wondering as I run into more and more captains carrying Kharybdis items, which they have bought on the internet for real money. Pointing out the paradox between the game design and what really goes on. What was meant to be difficult is now easy. Don't really see the point of that arrangement.

THE WHOLE FUCKIN POINT OF THE GAME IS PAY TO WIN.

Fool. Kharb is just a small example of it.

It's supposed to be hard to hit level 200. But spend enough cash and it's easy.

Giphin-
Familiar
Familiar

Post by Giphin- » 06 Feb 2014, 20:07

Nikolaj Knudsen wrote:Why use a middle-man, and will Tyler take responsibility if anything goes wrong and there is a dispute?

that is why you buy it from a reputable seller. if over 500 fragments have been delivered as promised, and in timely manner, so you know you can trust that guy on doing business.

Nikolaj Knudsen
Notable
Notable

Post by Nikolaj Knudsen » 06 Feb 2014, 20:16

Andrew Bowman wrote:
Nikolaj Knudsen wrote:Around, just wondering as I run into more and more captains carrying Kharybdis items, which they have bought on the internet for real money. Pointing out the paradox between the game design and what really goes on. What was meant to be difficult is now easy. Don't really see the point of that arrangement.

THE WHOLE FUCKIN POINT OF THE GAME IS PAY TO WIN.

Fool. Kharb is just a small example of it.

It's supposed to be hard to hit level 200. But spend enough cash and it's easy.

That is not the point. The point still is: If items can be bought for real money on the internet, and if this is allowed, supported and facilitated by Tyler, why can't these items just as well be bought in-game? What is the purpose of going through all sorts of financial arrangements and transfers, when they could simply be sold in-game? That is the point and the huge paradox as is.
Last edited by Nikolaj Knudsen on 06 Feb 2014, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

Nikolaj Knudsen
Notable
Notable

Post by Nikolaj Knudsen » 06 Feb 2014, 20:24

Giphin- wrote:
Nikolaj Knudsen wrote:Why use a middle-man, and will Tyler take responsibility if anything goes wrong and there is a dispute?

that is why you buy it from a reputable seller. if over 500 fragments have been delivered as promised, and in timely manner, so you know you can trust that guy on doing business.

I understand, and I have seen some of your advertisments now and then. I have no doubt that you and others deliver. That is not the point, however.

Again the point is: Why should the users have to go through you and others on the internet, when they can get it from the Ocho Shop? That would be much easier. If I understand you correctly you have sold more than 500 fragments. That's fine for you, but why then is it so tough to sink Kharybdis? That is the paradox. This has nothing to do with you as such, but if Tyler meant it to be difficult to get the fragments by sinking Kharybdis, why do they then allow it to be easy t get the fragments for real money on the internet? That is the whole point here. There is a huge paradox in the game here.

Giphin-
Familiar
Familiar

Post by Giphin- » 06 Feb 2014, 20:46

"Again the point is: Why should the users have to go through you and others on the internet, when they can get it from the Ocho Shop? That would be much easier."

some people want to earn it the hard way, some want to earn it the easy way. (example: The fact that there are still plenty other people that prefer to hunt the fragments by themselves, instead of getting from me, and some other with limited budget prefer to get it the easy way; buy it from me)

"but why then is it so tough to sink Kharybdis?"
because it is the highest lvl global boss that we currently have. if you want an easy one, go sink damo mk2?. The items that khar provide are decent. Example, maelstrom cannons are one of the best cannons in game, currently. compare to the damo ray that you can get from damo mk2. so the difficulty of sinking this global boss pays off.

"This has nothing to do with you as such, but if Tyler meant it to be difficult to get the fragments by sinking Kharybdis, why do they then allow it to be easy t get the fragments"

as a human being, we love to have some options, not just stick with one, and the only one option. at the end of the day, it is up to you whether you want to earn it the hard way or the easy way.

if it doesnt make sense to you, then nevermind.
Last edited by Giphin- on 06 Feb 2014, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.