Christmas list

Mostly un-moderated and contains offensive material. This is the place for MAXIMUM TROLLING!! You have been warned. Don't ask for "add me" or help with quests or clicks; you will get banned. Clans can post recruitment posts here.
Master of Clan X
Prominent
Prominent

Re: Christmas list

Post by Master of Clan X » 21 Nov 2013, 03:54

Jonathan Fresco wrote:would dear Devs pls bring back temporarily...

- dragonslayer
- empress
- sky dreamer
- pink skycutter
- (maybe) the "phoenix" (fiery alicanto thing, but it's non-animated, deserves a remake into BS3.0 guise)

:')

Wasn't it Dragon "Slaver"? Anyway all those skins could be re-released if they were fixed (perspective is wrong, painting is shoddy). The phoenix looks like it was ripped off from somewhere.

Artemios Masmanidis
Recognised
Recognised

Post by Artemios Masmanidis » 21 Nov 2013, 14:43

The Phoenix was a custom skin, right? Only Naeblis has one.

Master of Clan X
Prominent
Prominent

Post by Master of Clan X » 21 Nov 2013, 15:38

Artemios Masmanidis wrote:The Phoenix was a custom skin, right? Only Naeblis has one.

Yeah but I think he traded it in so no one has it.

Andrew Bowman
Notable
Notable

Post by Andrew Bowman » 21 Nov 2013, 16:18

Master of Clan X wrote:
Jonathan Fresco wrote:would dear Devs pls bring back temporarily...

- dragonslayer
- empress
- sky dreamer
- pink skycutter
- (maybe) the "phoenix" (fiery alicanto thing, but it's non-animated, deserves a remake into BS3.0 guise)

:')

Wasn't it Dragon "Slaver"? Anyway all those skins could be re-released if they were fixed (perspective is wrong, painting is shoddy). The phoenix looks like it was ripped off from somewhere.

I think he's talking about the flappy skin

Jonathan Fresco
Conspicuous
Conspicuous

Post by Jonathan Fresco » 21 Nov 2013, 16:33

yeah that "phoenix" guise was taken off an exploration NPC (named.... Phoenix iirc). thanks for reminding ... met SMU during Skirmish so I'm pretty sure it was Naeblis i saw with that guise & sunk earlier lol. Just felt that a flaming ship/beast (if updated into animated version) would match the recent H&H flaming hairdo and flaming whip look.

other potential good matches
- the "M" succubus / female leather assassin + dragonslaver ship
- the ghostly avatar skin + flying dutchman/ghost ship

Stormqueen
Low profile
Low profile

Post by Stormqueen » 21 Nov 2013, 16:35

The Storm Elemental and the Plasma Elemental seem to work fine as far as I know. Don't have any of the others. The stated reason for removing them was that they didn't work in combat, as I recall. I kept mine because they were my only reason for buying ocho in the first place. I was losing badly, but at least I was looking cool doing it.

I remain interested in an Empress Flagship (Sky Dreamer?) (ship theme the "Dancing Queen"), but I'll stop short of making a Christmas wish. In my opinion, those three remain some of the best skins in the game.

The Storm Elemental can be paired with a rather substantial arsenal (in the level 170 or below range) of storm-themed weaponry. I am just now reaching a point where I can neatly do this. Don't know if I'll win. Still want ricochet rockets renamed tornado missles or the like. Probably more difficult to use the ship skin, win, and maintain the theme. Lightening cannons, icicle jets, polar frost cannons, either the wave or heavy wave cannon has the aqueous cannon animation, hailstorm artillery, freezer cannons, lightening cutter, cold fuser, storm bolts, skyarc artillery, etc.... I think there is enough there to make a go at it.

The Plasma Elemental can be paired with either ray based weaponry or other weaponry with fuzzy light animation. Yamato cannons, perhaps chemical spray. The wisp missles are the wrong color. :-).

Neither of these ship skins has a well-defined forward or backward position (ie. it can be made to look neat on either attack or defense). Other ship skins like the hell hound and the Valkrie do have well defined fronts and backs. I think the hell hound might work with something like a plasma flare and some of the rams on attack. They may not be so well suited to both the attack and defense animations. The sky cutter and empress flagship could presumably have weapons mounts in any position.

The use of the empress flagship as the "Dancing Queen" speaks for itself.

+1 for a serious consideration of the request and the merits of each skin on an individual basis, in light of the available weapons animations and artistic potential.

Jonathan Fresco
Conspicuous
Conspicuous

Post by Jonathan Fresco » 21 Nov 2013, 16:45

though i personally don't fancy the theme, the UFO guise goes very well with various beam weapons. Especially if it does get a BS3 makeover, might match well with the solarian/space outfits.

no offense to the existing ship guises in ocho shop, but some of them really are on the bland side and belong more to war medal shop territory (penetrator, clown ship, man o war, perhaps tartarus) *if* there is an issue with too big a shop inventory. ;)

Stormqueen
Low profile
Low profile

Post by Stormqueen » 21 Nov 2013, 17:15

I think that a potential problem with some of them is that they are too highly specialized. It takes quite an investment to get the weaponry to use some of them well. In the case of the storm elemental, most of the mentioned weaponry is crafted. To use the ship skin well, somebody has to want to use it well and make it the central theme of a major weapons development program, and it severely limits the ships they can be used on. That either severely limits the market or leaves you with a bunch of players that aren't using it well. Neither is really desirable.

The skycutter and the empress flagship don't really have that problem.

I suspect that one criterion for what belongs in the ocho shop is what people are willing to spend ocho to get.

Stormqueen
Low profile
Low profile

Post by Stormqueen » 22 Nov 2013, 06:04

A proposed mechanism for making the ship skins work well.

Each ship skin has a table for all of the weapons. Most ship skins are mundane and only change appearance. A few have favored attack weapons (+x% damage) and unfavored attack weapons (-y% damage). Likewise defense weapons (different table). Tyler assigns as they see fit. The status is shown as a ship skin bonus/penalty on the weapon display for the current equipped ship skin.

Then +1 for selling them under any terms in the ocho shop.